Sunday, March 28, 2010

Is How They See Me? The Confirmation of Natural Hair Insecurities






After meeting up with some friends in Chicago, we decided to visit “Dick’s Last Resort”, a Bar and Grill whose theme encourages rudeness to patrons. Knowledgeable of this, we decided to play along with the theme. We were pelted with balls of napkins prior to being seated, the waiter yelled at us, rushed us while taking orders, but it was all laughable.
Unfortunately, the evening took a nose-dive after the waiter elected to create the first hat for the only woman with visibly coarse hair at the table, myself. I guess its appropriate to now mention that we were a party of six young Black people, the only African Americans in the entire establishment at the time. He placed the hat on my head, and I amusingly allowed it to stay, until I felt an uncomfortable glare from the rest of my tablemates. I then decided to take it off and read its contents. The hat said, “STOP CALLING ME BUCKWHEAT DAMMIT !!”. I then transformed from amused, to embarrassed, to finally angered.
Sensing my hostility, our party decided to leave, but not without speaking with the manager. The manager was outraged on our behalf, and pleaded for us to remain, however were unconvinced. He offered us free dessert and a different waiter, yet we still refused to stay. His final compromise consisted of our entire meal being packed into take out boxes and completely on the house. We conceded, after acknowledging that this incident was bigger than meal, hoping he’d understand that free food were the least of our concerns. Nonetheless, I just don’t think the Manager, nor the waiter understood.
Nevermind the historical significance of Buckwheat, a known “Picaninny” character which symbolized the degradation of African Americans. I fail to understand why there is such a complete obliviousness to the fine line that is crossed as it relates to comedy, and complete distaste. The worse part is when others attempt to dismiss your discomfort, as mere sensitivity.
Most of us can attest to how difficult it is to transition from relaxed to Natural hair can be an extremely difficult one. Not simply because you are unaware of what to do to your hair, but also because people tend to consistently, even if unconsciously remind you that your hair in its original state, is undesirable. Although this was an affirms a bigger of racial insensitivity, I had to share this because it evoked every emotional insecurity I have encountered throughout this process, but I never imagined it would be evoked by a business establishment. I'm not broken, but it the incident did crack my surface ... guess it goes to show I am not as invincible as I thought I was.

FYI: I have contacted the corporate office and I am currently I am awaiting their response.

Thanks for letting me vent.

First Lady.

7 comments:

  1. I am extreemly inspired by this post. I stand behind you 100%. These experiences evoked by our natural proceess will benifit and strengthen us in the end, we musn't quit or become disheartened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know of a natural stylist here in Cincinnati.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How unfortunate...just when you think your making strides someone finds someway to knock you a good 3 steps back. What really blew my mind though was that the waiter really didn't get it. He truly saw nothing wrong with what he was doing until it was brought to his attention. He couldn't even look you in the eye when he was apologizing which spoke a thousand words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoa. I'm sorry you experienced this. I think people don't understand that some jokes will ALWAYS be in bad taste. Keep embracing that natural hair though girl, "undesirable" my @$$! A head full of a kinky, curly masterpiece has always been my dream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Insecurity? Don't worry ab other ppl's response or how they view naturals. That's their own personal issue. Their inability to appreciate diversity is not YOUR problem! This made me think of my status a while ago.

    "'Dont try to modify who I am to fit your comfort zone" -Sheera/Sugarfreetv

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow - you should tell them to watch the play called 'The Dance' by Jason White. Its actually on youtube or you can go to the site www.seethedance.com - He addresses ALL OF THESE stereotypes especially in his documentary. Honestly everyone should check it out - it was such an eye opener for me kinda like your situation where the waiter was just ignorant: Education is the key. Awareness is the answer!

    ReplyDelete