Sunday, September 13, 2009

Tyra Banks: Good Intentions, Poor Execution ?

This week quite a few events took place that were considered Newsworthy. Obama laid the proverbial Smackdown on Congress, Joe "You Lie" Wilson fueled the Right Wing Extremist fire, The 8th Anniversary of the Sept. 11th attacks just passed, and Tyra Banks showed her real hair. No you did not misread the previous statement, Tyra Banks, retired Supermodel/business woman/ talk show host showed her REAL hair on colored T.V.

Why is this newsworthy? Ummm I didn't think it was, until I logged onto Yahoo! and saw it front a center as if it would change lives throughout the world. Naturally I was curious, so I watched the video accompanied with the headlines and my initial bewilderness transitioned to discomfort as I watched Tyra subject herself to petting for her audience.


Now I know Tyra is all sorts of extra, and suffers from attention whoredom nonetheless I couldn't help reacting to this debacle in such an apprehensive manner. Is a Black woman's hair growth just that d*mn fascinating?! I know that stereotypically we are not known for length, or the softest textures but the fashion but watching the audience reactions made black hair truly seem foreign. I am unsure of how to guage this curiousity/interest so I'll let you all do it.

Was Tyra's "big reveal" a progressive step for Black women and their manes?

First Lady

1 comment:

  1. I yawned through the whole thing. Although I'm disappointed becuase I thought it would have been better if she came out straight up Pam Grier.... I was happy to see her hair was long and healthy. Many people think that black women's hair never grows really long.

    ReplyDelete