Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Capt Save A Colored?

Before I go on my tirade, I'd like to shout out and credit the folks at Average Bro for bringing this phenomena to my attention.
Anyone who has been immersed in the public school system recognizes the lack of cultural diversity in teaching staffs. I can personally attest to that when I think about my Kindergarten through 12th grade experiences. Not only were the majority of my teachers white, but they were mostly women who were from middle class neighborhoods. This may not seem like it may be an issue as it relates to education, however in an area where over 50% of the students receive reduced or free lunch, it tends to be difficult to find commonalities.

Nonetheless, Hollywood seems to be infatuated with the notion of white women, changing the lives of helpless and hopeless minorities in a significant amount of their films. Here's the latest case of the adopt a colored brought to the silver screen:



While I am a fan of philanthropy, I can't help but to feel patronized every time I see a film with this story line. An unsuspecting white person stumbles across violent,ignorant,angry,unappreciated, unloved, lost, segregated, impoverished, yet promising group of minority students and changes their lives for the better. How should one react to this repetitive plot? Is this an over analysis of simple entertainment, or does it truly speak volumes about the "humanization" of people of color only being possible once a white person has interfered?

Please see similar movies below:








You be the judge...

2 comments:

  1. I have never thought about that before, but now that you bring it up, it does carry a high relevance in society. I dont know if I feel comfortable with the immage this represents. I asked myself: how many films have been made with the opposite persona? not manny if any, and then I ask myself:why is that? Is it because the opposite is not respected or recognised in society as legitamate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. goes even deeper in the reality that black people, at least in Cincinnati, don't own much. we go and support all these white owned (or Asian) businesses that hosts products that are specific the black people. to many we seem like a "broken home" culture...disheartening...

    ReplyDelete