Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sensitive Roots: Humorous or Offensive

The original No Lyerz conceived the concept of this blog based upon the connection that we as Black women have with our hair. Right now, we are both undergoing the process of growing our hair natural, which entails a process in which maintaining our manes becoming seemingly impossible to tame. While I have chosen to undertake the lazy option of often pulling my hair up, my PIC (Partner In Crime) recently exercise her option of the sew in. I think that is a wonderful lead in to the video below, a commercial from the new Q& A gurus KGB.



I especially felt obligated to bring this video to the forefront because I have noticed a shift in the amount of black women transitioning to Natural hair. Nonetheless the disapproval of rejecting a relaxer from my encounters seem consistent within our community. While this commercial was meant to entertain, and potentially "culturally connect", it hits a nerve when it comes to black women and their hair. Notice the kinkiness, and lack of attractiveness in the women who are receiving their new dos. Why is it that we in our original state feel undesirable? And was it offensive for KGB to shed light in this manner on a common question as it relates to black hair care?

I personally became annoyed at the vernacular and appearance of the women but I also know people who would associate their appearance with the state of their hair. Therefore I was not completely shocked at their portrayal. Nonetheless, I am still interested in knowing what your reaction may have been, had this commercial come across your television screen. Are you entertained, or offended?

No comments:

Post a Comment