Friday, July 31, 2009

Buck Yo Feer



After BeerGate 2009 has come and gone, I’ve concluded that this contrived interaction has infuriated me more than the original incident that occurred with Sgt. Crowley and Prof. Gates. Don’t ask me what I was expecting, because I’m honestly not completely certain what I thought would result from this lemon squeezer. Nonetheless, I am confident in my assertion that this attempt at diplomacy has done nothing to improve race relations. If anything, this has ensured that unspoken racial tensions that have existed will continue, if not worsen.

I know I’ve made some absurd declarations in the past about various topics. However, this for some reason evokes an unusual amount of emotion within me. It’s been what, nine days this spectacle took place and in forty minutes I am supposed to embrace this “teachable lesson” because two black dudes and two white guys had a “brew” at the White House? The lingering sentiment composed by two social science/race connoisseurs concluded; its okay to disagree. How. Incredibly. Profound. Oh and our President’s thoughts on this historical discussion? Silence. I know!! That’s what I find the most unsettling about this event.

See I’m a Political commentary junkie, so I love to hear various intellectual perspectives on current events, relevant or otherwise. As a result for the past nine days I’ve viewed advocates from both sides argue on their parties behalf. In the midst of these often heated exchanges, our beloved President has been accused of playing racial favoritism. To combat this attempt, resolutions have been arose in the Senate proposing that the President formally apologize to the Cambridge Police Department. Why? Because he answered a question about this loaded incident with * gasp* his personal opinion. Consequently he had to host an artificial tea party that was intended to make the majority feel better about the subjectivity of minorities in positions of power to appear non threatening.

Then, the day of reconciliation has finally approached. The moment of truth we have all been awaiting has passed … and an outwardly shallow summit proved itself to be just that. Had I have posted this a few days ago, the tone would have been different. Honestly it probably would have consisted of myself praising the President for his attempt at a symbolic moment to move forward with race relations. Nevertheless, I now deem this 2400 second conversation an attempt to keep our socially popular yet Politically floundering President, in the good graces of the dominant culture.
Maybe if something simple would have changed, like the get together being held within the confinements of the White House walls without the awkward interaction, I would believe it was more genuine therefore more influential. Yet unfortunately I surmised that this conversation and the bland commentary following this dialogue ultimately reinforced Attorney General Eric Holder’s “judgmental” comments that took place during Black History Month:

“Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and I believe continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards.”
Oh well, that’s what I get for actually believing that there was only one America. Plus, the homie has to get reelected. Sure… that’s it.

No comments:

Post a Comment